Hello beautiful people! Welcome to #WeddingWednesday with Shebli Nikkole Weddings! For the next 3 weeks, Liz with White Daisy Events will be sharing her advice on styling your wedding party! Enjoy!
Wedding fashion can be one of the most difficult aspects of the wedding planning process.
Within this 3 part series I am going to talk to you about the do’s and don’ts of wedding attire, when is the best time to shop and order different fashion pieces, wedding fashion traditions and how White Daisy Events can help make your wedding styling experience so much easier.
Today, we are discussing the do’s and don’ts when it comes to properly styling your wedding party. For clarification, the Wedding Party is different than the Bridal Party. The Bridal Party consists of only the Bride, Bridesmaids, Junior Bridesmaids and Flower girls. The
Wedding Party consists of everyone in the wedding, the Bride, Groom, Bridesmaids, Groomsmen, Junior Bridesmaids, Junior Groomsmen, Flower girls, Ring Bearers and both sides of parents.
- DO Feel comfortable in your Bridal Gown
- When picking out your bridal gown make sure that you are realistic about the way the dress fits. Keep in mind that wedding sizing is not like traditional sizing. It is not uncommon to be a size 4 in normal everyday wear and a size 8 in a wedding gown. Also, make sure that you dance a little, throw your arms up, hug someone, kneel down, bend over, sit down. Do all the things that you will, realistically, be doing on your wedding day in the dress. The last thing you want is to buy a dress that is uncomfortable and you can’t move in. It will show on your face and in your pictures.
south denver wedding planner, south denver wedding photography, chatfield botanic garden wedding photographer,golden wedding planner, golden wedding photographer, golden colorado weddings
- DO Pick out the Groom’s attire first
- After you have chosen your bridal gown, I strongly suggest, that you take your groom and figure out what color suit or tux he looks best in. You don’t have to choose his tie and vest color just yet, but it is smart to know what color jacket and pants your future husband looks best in. For example: my fiancé does not look very good in grays. I know this from having him go with me to try some on. I did learn that he looks very handsome in navy blues and blacks. So from this I know that he will either be wearing navy blue or black for our wedding. Just like you want to look and feel good in your bridal gown, your fiancé feels the same about his attire as well.
grey and yellow colorado wedding, golden colorado mountain photographer
- DO Be kind to your Bridesmaids
- Bridesmaid dresses can be tricky. There are so many different trends happening all the time. You also want your bridesmaids to not only like their dress but feel comfortable in their dress. If you are choosing to have all your bridesmaids wear the same dress and/or same color, consider all skin tones and body types and then choose a style and/or color that is going to look best on all of them. Some colors may wash out your bridesmaids and some styles may accentuate body parts that may make your bridesmaids uncomfortable. Not many girls can pull off a fitted gown. If they can pull it off, they may not feel super comfortable in the dress. Gowns that are loose throughout the skirt and have an empire waist are going to be the easiest for most girls to wear. Most designers also offer those style dresses in a maternity version as well, which is extremely beneficial if you do have a pregnant bridesmaid and want her to look the same as all the other ladies. Something to, also, consider is how your bridesmaid dresses will photograph and how that appeals to you. Darker and richer colors will create more contrast in your photos while softer colors will create softer photos.
windsor wedding photographer, nothern colorado wedding photographer
- DON’T Buy too small
- As females, we are very hard on ourselves when it comes to our weight and dress size. As a stylist I have worked with 100’s of ladies, this is one thing we all have in common. The last thing you want to stress about is needing to lose weight to fit into your wedding down. Equally you don’t want to stress about one of your bridesmaids not being able to fit into her bridesmaids dress as well. If you take anything away from this blog, I want you to understand how important it is to purchase the dress that fits you today and understand that alterations will make it fit you tomorrow. Do not order a dress one or two sizes too small and think it is going to be your motivation to lose weight. It is scientifically proven that stress and not eating enough can actually cause your body to go into starvation mode, slow your metabolism and make your body gain weight. Wedding planning is stressful enough, please don’t add unnecessary stress.
- DON’T Have your friends measure themselves or each other
- In addition to buying a dress too small, the other common problem I come across a lot is brides or bridesmaids measuring themselves or each other. More often than not, the girls are not using the proper measuring tape, not measuring in the correct places or measuring themselves too tight. Go to a dress boutique or local tailor and have a professional do the measurements. This is especially important if you are buying online. If you are buying the dress in a boutique, the stylist there will automatically do these measurements for you. Also, be careful of buying wedding attire online. There are many websites out there that are not reputable dealers of the designer you are purchasing. This can cause sizing, coloring, manufacturing and even fraud complications. Always buy from a reputable dealer or straight from the designers website. It is even safer to buy from a local boutique. That way you can see the color and feel the fabric in person. You may even be able to try the style of dress on as well. White Daisy Events offers measuring services within the Wedding Styling Package. This makes things even more convenient for you and your girls as we will travel to them to gather their proper measurements and give sizing advice before orders need to be placed.
- DON’T Let other people’s opinion control you
- At the end of the day, if you like the way something looks, don’t let other people’s opinions change your mind. It is your wedding, not theirs. What truly matters is that you are happy with the way everything turns out so that your photographer can capture your dream wedding for future memories, not someone else’s. If you feel someone is overstepping, talk to them. If they don’t understand then move on – it is not worth the stress. People who truly love you and want the best for you will support your wedding planning decisions and will just be happy to be apart of your big day.
For more information please contact us at email@example.com. You can also check out our website at www.whitedaisyevents.com.
Thank you for reading and I look forward to sharing Part II with you next #WeddingWednesday.
White Daisy Events
I hope you enjoyed this week’s #WeddingWednesday! Liz will be hosting a Live Q&A on Periscope (@whitedaisyevents) March 25th from 6:30p-7p! Join in and get your wedding planning questions answered! Are you a vendor itching to write a guest blog for Shebli Nikkole Photography? Contact me!