Hello beautiful people! I know that is Thursday, but life has been a little crazy. So, we are going to celebrate #WeddingWednesday today!
I want to talk about engagement sessions. My evenings are about to be filled with engagement sessions for my 2016 and 2017 brides and grooms. I LOVE engagement sessions. I love them so much that I include them in all of my wedding packages. There is just something so special about that time before you get married and it is such an honor to capture it. I don’t want my couples to ever feel stressed while we are planning their engagement session. Here are my 7 tips on how to completely ROCK your engagement session.
- LOCATION – Choosing your location is very important. Choose a location that isn’t random. Someplace that is special or important to you two as a couple. You need to be comfortable in this location because public displays of affection will be happening and you can’t ROCK your engagement session if you are uncomfortable, right?! If you are outdoorsy people who don’t like to be around a lot of people, then Union Station is not a good idea. You won’t be comfortable, you will look uncomfortable in your photos and you probably won’t love you photos. I want you to LOVE your photos.
- TIMING – Timing is everything. Light has a huge impact on your photos. Harsh light can create unflattering shadows across your faces. The light is the prettiest and softest right after sunrise and right before sunset and those are the times that I like to shoot.
- HAIR + MAKEUP – ROCKing your engagement session starts way before we meet up for it. Go get a blow out. Have someone else do your hair. It is also a great time to test out makeup artists for your big day. When you look amazing you, you feel amazing and then you can totally ROCK your engagement session.
- MANICURE – Get your nails done. There will be closeups of that ring (make sure it is cleaned). Oh, and guys, consider a manicure. I know it might seem a little weird, but it is super relaxing and you get all those really annoying hangnails taken care of.
- WARDROBE – Oh wardrobe choices. I don’t know about you, but I have the hardest time deciding what to wear. It is just so much easier to throw on some yoga pants and a tshirt (don’t do that). Plan ahead. I love when clients text me photos of what they plan on wearing. Don’t be matchy-matchy. You are getting married not becoming twins. Coordinate and don’t be afraid of prints. Consider what you are going to do with your photos. If you are going to hang them in your home make sure what you plan to wear won’t clash with your home decor. Lastly, don’t wear something that you aren’t comfortable in. Tugging at your clothes or holding your breath is not flattering.
- PROPS – Don’t feel pressured to bring props. If you have something you absolutely love and want to include in your engagement photos then bring it. But, don’t think that all engagement photos have to have cute little signs or props. If it isn’t you. Don’t worry about it. I’m all about capturing who you really are as a couple, with or without props. If you do decide to bring props, limit it to 2.
- RELAX – This is a super exciting time in your lives, but it is also stressful. I want you to relax and enjoy yourselves. Forget about the stresses of wedding planning and just be. Be playful. Be loving. Be who you are as a couple. Have FUN!
BONUS – Do you have furbabies? Do you want to include them in your engagement session? If you do, make sure you bring someone to help wrangle your pet(s) and that the location you choose allows animals.
I hope these tips help with planning your engagement session. If you have more questions, leave me a comment and I would be happy to answer it for you!
until next time,